The American Journal of Occupational Therapy (AJOT) announces calls for papers for several upcoming special issues. For all AJOT articles, the goal is to provide high-quality research for use by occupational therapy practitioners and researchers as well as consumers, insurers, and other health care professionals. Articles that are relevant to audiences beyond occupational therapy will be given greater consideration.
Authors should submit manuscripts through the BenchPress system and specify in their cover letter that the manuscript is intended for publication in the desired special issue. Submitted manuscripts will be peer reviewed and must conform to the criteria specified in the current Guidelines for Contributors to AJOT (available on the AJOT and BenchPress websites).
Questions about submission should be directed to email@example.com.
Productive Aging and Occupational Therapy: Promoting Independence, Participation, and Quality of Life for Community-Dwelling Older Adults
Guest Editor: Chiung-ju (CJ) Liu, PhD, OTR
This special issue aims to contribute to occupational therapy’s distinct value in helping community-dwelling older adults achieve the goal of productive aging. Topics of interest include the following:
- Efficacy or effectiveness studies of interventions to support aging in place
- Cost-effectiveness studies on the client-centered approach to fostering productive aging
- Systematic reviews or meta-analyses of empirical studies on interventions to promote outcomes such as independence or safety at home and in the community, social participation and quality of life
- Assessments that identify at-risk populations for occupational therapy intervention or measure outcomes related to productive aging
- The role of neighborhoods and communities in promoting productive aging
- Facilitating transition to home after hospital admissions
- Enhancing practice in primary care.
This issue will include systematic reviews evaluating the effects of occupational therapy interventions on occupational performance, quality of life, and health care facility readmissions. Papers that complement these systematic reviews are welcome.
Contact: Chiung-ju (CJ) Liu, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission: October 1, 2017
The issue is tentatively scheduled for publication in July/August 2018.
Occupational Therapy Interventions for People With Mental Illness
Guest Editor: Susan Noyes, PhD, OTR/L, and Peggy Swarbrick, PhD, OT, CPRP
This special issue will highlight the evidence supporting occupational therapy–based interventions for people with mental illness. In particular, the journal seeks papers on the following topics:
- Effectiveness studies describing innovative interventions
- Data-based manuscripts describing functional outcomes and effects on quality of life
- Emerging best practices and evidence-based interventions affecting quality of life and wellness.
This issue will include the findings from systematic reviews on occupational therapy interventions for various mental health conditions. Papers that complement these systematic reviews are desirable. Literature reviews will not be accepted.
Contact: Susan Noyes, email@example.com
Deadline for submission: December 1, 2017
The issue is tentatively scheduled for publication in September/October 2018.