Occupational Therapy Assistants play a key role in providing occupational therapy services in every area of practice. The resources in this section will help you get connected, find helpful documents, and explore volunteer leadership roles.
OTA Leadership Development Toolkit
The Toolkits provides many options for leadership skill enhancement.
Go to Toolkit
OTA Leadership Development Toolkit: Suggested Reading
- Heard, C. P. (2014). Choosing the path of leadership in occupational therapy. Open Journal of Occupational Therapy 2(1), Article 2.
- Lopez, M. & Wong, B. (2017). Increasing diversity and inclusive leadership communities within occupational therapy. OT Practice, 22(16), 14–15.
- Phipps, S. (2015). Transformational and visionary leadership in occupational therapy management and administration. OT Practice, 20 (15), 37–44.
- Rowe, N. (2016). 10 tips to building a strong OT/OTA relationship.
- Sanford-Blair, N., & Dickmann, M. (2005). Leading coherently: Reflections from leaders around the world. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Stoffel, V. (2013). From heartfelt leadership to compassionate care. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 67, 633–640.
Many states include volunteer activities in Licensure Renewal Requirements
NBCOT recognizes leadership and volunteerism for Certification Renewal
Interviews with OTA Leaders
- Tara Franks Bailey, BS, COTA
- Rev. Angela Kidd, COTA, BS, MA
- Barbara Seguine, MAEd, COTA
- Melissa Tilton, OTA, BS, COTA, ROH