Deadline extended to Monday, October 17, 2016, 11:59 pm Pacific Time!
AOTA is excited to continue our commitment to leadership development by offering this updated program for occupational therapy managers who want to cultivate their power and influence in their practice setting and within the profession. The future viability of the profession demands that we have solid and skilled leadership at all levels of the profession. This program will assist in meeting the Centennial Vision strategic objective of “building the profession’s capacity to influence and lead.” This program is open to occupational therapy practitioners with more than 5 years of experience who are currently in management positions. Special consideration will be given to practitioners new to their Rehabilitation/School-Based Occupational Therapy Director position and those who are in large systems overseeing multiple disciplines or large OT departments.
This Leadership Development Program addresses a critical need in the profession by:
- Reinforcing best leadership practices and applying them to leadership at the mid-management level
- Driving leadership skills deeply into the profession’s management sector for sustained progress
- Serving as a tool for developing the next generation of clinically based leaders
- Building a network of influential leaders at the mid management levels in clinical facilities
- Providing motivation for occupational therapy practitioners in mid management positions to aspire to ascend to higher positions within their practice settings
- Beginning to share success stories of OTs in executive management positions and the skill set needed at that level
The expected outcomes of this program include:
- Increased leadership and management skills
- Ability to cultivate your power and influence at your setting
- Increased confidence
- Increased ability to think strategically
- The ability to create a culture of evidence-based practice at your setting
- Increased ability to advocate for the profession in multiple arenas
- Increased understanding of the skill set needed to rise to executive leadership
- Clear and strengthened relationship with AOTA
- The creation of a leadership community
Topics included in the training:
- Strategic thinking
- Multi-disciplinary management and supervision
- Leading effectively
- Conflict resolution
- Values clarification
- Building your ability to influence
- Understanding the concept of power
- The important role of managers in creating a culture of evidence-based practice
- Skills for executive leadership
There will be 15 applicants selected for this leadership development program. Successful applicants must be able to attend a 2.5-day face-to-face-training on Monday, January 30, 2017 through Wednesday, February 1, 2017, at AOTA’s National Office in Bethesda, MD.
There is a $35 application fee for all applicants. The successful applicants will pay a modest $150 registration fee for the program; all other travel, meals, and hotel costs (Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights) will be covered by AOTA.
The application process is done through a web-based platform that includes:
- $35 application fee
- An up-to-date CV including:
- Current position and scope of responsibilities
- Reporting structure for your position
- Years of experience
- Professional development activities
- Special attention to leadership training attended
- A personal statement of interest
- Reasons for interest in this program
- Applicant’s leadership experiences
- Applicant’s professional development activities related to leadership
- Applicant’s career goals/trajectory
- Applicant’s past leadership experiences
- Applicant’s leadership goals
- A strong reference letter from a very recent or current employer that speaks to applicant’s current leadership skills and potential for leadership growth
Applicants must be members in good standing of AOTA at the time of application and during the program.
No paper applications will be considered. The application site opens Tuesday, September 13, 2016.
All applications must be submitted electronically.
No application will be considered without the application fee being paid prior to completing the application.
If you have questions about the program, please contact Maureen Peterson at email@example.com.
Please direct all application submission questions to Kamone Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org.