OT practitioners provide essential services in the comprehensive management of feeding, eating, and swallowing conditions for clients with a variety of diagnoses across the lifespan. Services include:
Occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants who apply for Specialty Certification in Feeding, Eating, and Swallowing should:
- facilitating the activities of feeding, eating, and swallowing safely;
- ensuring appropriate set up, equipment, and instruction for the client and relevant others to meet identified nutritional guidelines;
- ensuring adequate performance of the components of the oral, pharyngeal and esophageal phases of swallow; and
- holistically addressing the physical, psychosocial, and cultural factors associated with feeding, eating, and swallowing.
Have experience collaborating with physicians and other professionals who impact the feeding, eating, or swallowing needs of clients.
- Work with children and/or adults who have demonstrated difficulties with feeding, eating, or swallowing;
- Have experience and expertise in the use of adaptive equipment for feeding;
- Be able to integrate swallowing study results in order to deliver safe, effective services (OT – perform and/or interpret; OTA – read and understand under OT supervision).
Download an overview.
The completed application will consist of two parts: the pdf application (Part 1), and the portfolio evidence forms (Part 2). Examples are also provided to help applicants better understand how to complete the various portfolio evidence forms. Please follow the instructions in the application itself for submitting your completed application.
SCFES – Occupational therapist (OT)
SCFES-A – Occupational therapy assistant (OTA)
Download the overview. Parts 1 and 2 will make up the application. Please follow the instructions in Part 1 for submitting your completed application.
Occupational Therapist (OT)