AOTA has determined that the Evidence Exchange CAPs have met AOTA-established criteria and guidelines for research design, format, and structure. The CAPS have been peer reviewed by CAP reviewers who are selected and trained by AOTA. However, the vigorous peer review process is conducted independently of the AOTA review and editorial processes.
- Amen, A., Fonareva, I., Haas, M., Lane, J. B., Oken, B. S., Wahbeh, H., & Zajdel, D. (2010). Pilot controlled trial of mindfulness meditation and education for dementia caregivers. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 16(10), 1031–1038. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/acm.2009.0733
- Borges, E., Vale, R., Cader, S., Leal, S., Miguel, F., Pernambuco, C., & Dantas, E. (2014).Postural balance and falls in elderly nursing home residents enrolled in a ballroom dancing program. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 59(2), 312–316. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2014.03.013
- Clemson, L., Fiatarone Singh, M. A., Bundy, A., Cumming, R. G., Manollaras, K., O’Loughlin, P., & Black, D. (2012). Integration of balance and strength training into daily life activity to reduce rate of falls in older people (the LiFE study): Randomized parallel trial. British Medical Journal, 345, e4547. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e4547
- Crain, A. L., Enstad, C. J., Hanson, L. R., Kreitzer, M., Lewis, B. A., & Whitebird, R. R. (2012). Mindfulness-based stress reduction for family caregivers: A randomized controlled trial. The Gerontologist, 53(4), 676-686. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/gns126
- Gitlin, L. N., Winter, L., Dennis, M. P., Corcoran, M., Schinfeld, S., & Hauck, W. W. (2006). A randomized trial of a multicomponent home intervention to reduce functional difficulties in older adults. Journal of The American Geriatrics Society, 54(5), 809–816. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2006.00703.x
- Heshka, S., Anderson, J., Atkinson, R., Greenway, F. Hill, J. Phinney, S., ...Pi-Sunyer, X. (2003). Weight loss with self-help compared with a structured commercial program. Journal of American Medical Association, 289(14), 1792–1798. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.14.1792
- Homnick, D. N., Henning, K. M., Swain, C. V., & Homnick, T. D. (2013). Effect of therapeutic horseback riding on balance in community-dwelling older adults with balance deficits. Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine, 19(7), 622–626. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/acm.2012.0642
- Lee, H., Chang, K., Tsauo, J., Hung, J., Huang, Y., & Lin, S. (2013). Effects of a multifactorial fall prevention program on fall incidence and physical function in community-dwelling older adults with risk of falls. Archives of Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation, 94(4), 606–615. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2012.11.037
- Lopez, J., Crespo, M., & Zarit, S. H. (2007). Assessment of the efficacy of a stress management program for informal caregivers of dependent older adults. The Gerontologist, 47(2), 205–214.http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/47.2.205
- Lewin, G., San Miguel, K.D., Knuiman, M., Alan, J., Boldy, D., Hendrie, D., And Vandermeulen, S. (2013). A randomized control trial of the home independence program: An Australian restorative home-care programme for older adults. Health And Social Care In The Community, 21(1), 69–78.http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2524.2012.01088.x
- Martins, C., Strommen, M., Stavne, O., Nossum, R., Marvik, R., & Kulseng, B. (2010). Bariatric surgery versus lifestyle interventions for morbid obesity-changes in body weight, risk factors and comorbidities at 1 year. Obesity Surgery, 21(7), 841. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11695-010-0131-1
- Robertson, M. M., Ciriello, V. M., & Garabet, A. M. (2013). Office ergonomics training and a sit-stand workstation: Effects on musculoskeletal and visual symptoms and performance of office workers. Applied Ergonomics, 44(1), 73–85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2012.05.001
- Szanton, S. L., Thorpe, R. J., Boyd, C., Tanner, E. K., Leff, B., Agree, E., & Gitlin, L. N. (2011). Community aging in place, advancing better living for elders: A bio-behavioral-environmental intervention to improve function and health-related quality of life in disabled older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 59(12), 2314–2320. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03698.x
- Taylor, D., Hale, L., Schuler, P. Waters, D., Binns, E., McCracken, H., ...Wolf, S. L. (2012). Effectiveness of tai chi as a community-based falls prevention intervention: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 60, 841–848. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.03928.x
- Thinnes, A., & Padilla, R. (2011). Effect of educational and supportive strategies on the ability of caregivers of people with dementia to maintain participation in that role. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65(5), 541–549. http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2011.002634
- Walia, S. R. (2012). A comparison between land-based and water-based balance training exercise program in improvement of balance in community dwelling elderly population. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy And Occupational Therapy-an International Journal, 6(3), 221–227.
- Gitlin, L., Winter, L., Dennis, M., & Hauck, W. (2008). Variation in response to a home intervention to support daily function by age, race, sex, and education. Journal of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, 63A(7), 745–750.
- Grunnesjö, M., I., Bogefeldt, J. P., Blomberg, S. I. E., Strender, L., & Svärdsudd, K., F. (2011). A randomized controlled trial of the effects of muscle stretching, manual therapy and steroid injections in addition to 'stay active' care on health-related quality of life in acute or subacute low back pain. Clinical Rehabilitation, 25(11), 999–1010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0269215511403512
- Krampe, J. (2013). Exploring the effects of dance based therapy on balance and mobility in older adults. Western Journal Of Nursing Research, 35(1), 39–56. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0193945911423266
- Murphy, S. L., Lyden, A. K., Smith, D. M., Dong, Q., & Koliba, J. F. (2010). Effects of a tailored activity pacing intervention on pain and fatigue for adults with osteoarthritis. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 64, 869–876. http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2010.09198
- Murphy, S. L., Lyden, A. K., Smith, D. M., Dong, Q., & Koliba, J. F. (2010). Research Scholars Initiative – Effects of a tailored activity pacing intervention on pain and fatigue for adults with osteoarthritis. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 64, 869–876. http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2010.09198
- Schepens, S. L., Panzer, V., & Goldberg, A. (2011). Randomized controlled trial comparing tailoring methods of multimedia-based fall prevention education for community-dwelling older adults. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 702–709. http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2011.001180
- Wilson, D. J., Mitchell, J. M., Kemp, B. J., Adkins, R. H., & Mann, W. (2009). Effects of assistive technology on functional decline in people aging with a disability. Journal of Assistive Technology, 21, 208–217. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10400430903246068
- Gitlin, L., Hauck, W., Dennis, M., Winter, L. Hodgson, N., & Schinfeld, S. (2009). Long-term effect on mortality of a home intervention that reduces functional difficulties in older adults: Results from a randomized trial. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57(3), 476–481. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.02147.x
- Stark, S., Landsbaum, A., Palmer, J., Somerville, E., & Morris, J. (2009). Client-centered Home Modifications Improve Daily Activity Performance Of Older Adults. Canadian Journal Of Occupational Therapy, 76, 235–245. PMCID:PMC2857667
- Schepens, S. L., Panzer, V., & Goldberg, A. (2011). Randomized controlled trial comparing tailoring methods of multimedia-based fall prevention education for community-dwelling older adults. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65(6), 702–709. http://dx.doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2011.001180
- Stark, S. (2004). Removing environmental barriers in the homes of older adults with disabilities improves occupational performance. OTJR: Occupation, Participation & Health, 24(1), 32–39.