We Need to Talk…Family Conversations with Older Drivers Facilitator Training
You are invited to attend a free 90-minute online facilitator training presented by the AARP Driver Safety Program and the American Occupational Therapy Association.
The We Need to Talk (WNTT) facilitator training prepares practitioners to conduct a We Need to Talk…Family Conversations with Older Drivers seminar introducing tools (available free of charge) and information to adult children, caregivers, and friends interested in strategies to discuss transitioning, limiting or stopping driving with an older adult.
The “We Need to Talk…Family Conversations with Older Drivers” seminar is a program developed and produced by AARP based on information created jointly by The Hartford and the MIT AgeLab.
Occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, and students of occupational therapy are invited to join the AARP and AOTA for WNTT Facilitator Training. During this free 90-minute distance learning event, you will learn how to:
- Acknowledge the meaning of driving and its influence on decisions about driving;
- Create opportunities to talk about driving safety and transportation needs;
- Provide strategies for developing a plan for more successful and sensitive conversations about transitioning, limiting or stopping driving;
- Address the importance of preserved mobility and the essential need to identify alternatives in preparation for a discussion on transportation needs if driving is curtailed; and
- Conduct WNTT Seminars in local communities, within the work setting and/or with individual clients and their families.
Date: Monday, September 19, 2011
Time: 5:00 p.m.-6:30 p.m. ET
Elin Schold Davis, OTR/L, CDRS
Coordinator, American Occupational Therapy Association, Older Driver Initiative
Senior Project Manager, AARP Driver Safety Program
Where: Webinar participation is from your computer. Equipment requirements include a computer connection to the Internet (view slides) and a telephone (audio).
Cost: There is no cost to the occupational therapy practitioner for the online training or materials. This webinar is sponsored by AARP as a service to AOTA members.
Upon completion of the online training you will receive a letter from the AARP Driver Safety Program acknowledging your attendance for a one (1) hour seminar and will be able to conduct WNTT Seminars. We encourage you to conduct a WNTT seminar during the 2011 AOTA Older Driver Safety Awareness Week December 5 to 9, 2011.
To read more information about WNTT and take the seminar online go to www.aarp.org/weneedtotalk.
For more information, please contact the organizer via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org